June 1 (Reuters) - Fred's Inc:
* Fred's Pharmacy reports may sales
* May same store sales rose 0.8 percent
* May sales fell 3.1 percent to $160.1 million
* Fred's inc - comparable store sales for may included negative 1.0% impact as result of sale of low productive discontinued inventory versus may last year
* Fred's Inc - "we are seeing substantial momentum in our retail and specialty pharmacy businesses, creating opportunities for growth throughout company"
* Fred's Inc says decrease in may sales is related to closure of 39 underperforming stores in q1
* Fred's- in retail pharmacy, adjusted script comps continuing to trend positively, in specialty pharmacy business are consistently experiencing "significant" sales growth Source text for Eikon: Further company coverage: