March 20 Britain's FTSE 100 index is seen opening 1
point higher at 7,426 on Monday, according to financial bookmakers.
* The UK blue chip FTSE 100 index ended 0.1 percent higher at
7,424.96 points on Friday, closing at a record level but with a stronger
sterling capping gains.
* UNILEVER: Unilever is preparing a 6 billion pound ($7.44 billion)
sale of some of its food brands, British newspapers reported on
* BHP BILLITON: The labor union at the world's largest copper mine, BHP
Billiton's Escondida in Chile, called a fresh offer of talks by
management to end a 39-day strike "manipulative."
* RBS: Lawyers representing tens of thousands of Royal Bank of Scotland
(RBS) shareholders have held tentative talks to settle a 1.2 billion
pound damages claim over the lender's 2008 rights issue that was launched
shortly before a state bailout, two sources said.
* PETROFAC/WOOD GROUP: Canada's SNC-Lavalin and Petrofac
are eyeing Wood Group and Amec Foster Wheeler with the aim of
acquiring assets and contracts likely to be divested by the UK pair as a result
of their 2.2 bln pounds merger, the Financial Times reported on
* ASTRAZENECA: A newer class of type 2 diabetes drugs significantly cut the
risk of death and hospitalization for heart failure compared with other
medicines for the disease, according to data released on Sunday from a so-called
real world study sponsored by AstraZeneca.
* MELROSE: Melrose Industries bosses are likely to be handed shares
worth more than 150 mln pounds, Sky News reported on Sunday.
* BRITAIN HOUSING: Asking prices for homes in England and Wales are showing
above-average increases as a shortage of properties for sale outweighed any
nervousness about Brexit, a survey published by property data firm Rightmove
showed on Monday.
* BREXIT: Prime Minister Theresa May will visit Wales on Monday as part of a
plan to engage with all the nations of the United Kingdom before she formally
launches Britain's departure from the European Union.
* OIL: Oil prices fell on Monday as rising U.S. drilling activity and steady
supplies from OPEC countries despite touted production cuts pressured
* For more on the factors affecting European stocks, please click on: cpurl://apps.cp./cms/?pageId=livemarkets
* UK CORPORATE DIARY:
Phoenix Group PHNX.L Full Year 2016
One Media IP Group OMIP.L Full Year 2016
MaxCyte Inc MXCT.L Full Year 2016
JKX Oil and Gas JKX.L Full Year 2016
TODAY'S UK PAPERS
> Financial Times
> Other business headlines
Multimedia versions of Reuters Top News are now available for:
* 3000 Xtra : visit topnews.session.rservices.com
* For Top News : topnews.reuters.com
(Reporting by Siju Varghese; Editing by Amrutha Gayathri)