April 27 (Reuters) - Universal Stainless
* Q1 loss per share $0.34
* Quarter-End backlog increases 4 pct to $39.8 million
* Universal stainless reports first quarter 2016 results
* Q1 sales $39.6 million
* Universal stainless & alloy products inc says 25 pct sequential increase in Q1 sales mainly driven by a 53 pct improvement in our sales to aerospace market
* "demand is currently tempered by lingering economic and market uncertainty"
* Says demand currently tempered by lingering economic and market uncertainty, sharp competition and very short industry lead times
* "2016 is evolving as transition year with moderate improvement in market demand and stabilizing commodity prices"
* "longer-term, customers continue to say that they expect second half of 2016 to be stronger half this year" Source text for Eikon: Further company coverage: (Bengaluru Newsroom: +1 646 223 8780)