Sept 17 (Reuters) - Double Olympic gold medallist Kaillie Humphries' bid to be released from Bobsleigh Canada so she could compete for the United States was denied by a Calgary judge on Tuesday.
Humphries, who was looking to take part in the push trials for the U.S. team beginning on Wednesday, had sued the governing body for blocking her release from the team and breaching their contract relating to the athlete and coach code of conduct.
A CBC report here said the Court of Queen's Bench judge found the governing body has discretion to decide whether to allow an athlete to compete for another country.
According to the report, the judge also ruled that Humphries could have initiated a dispute resolution process earlier through Bobsleigh Canada but "instead chose to wait and bring this application on the eve of U.S. push trials."
Humphries' lawyer said they will not give up their fight and that his client will still attend the U.S. push trials as a guest this week.
Reuters has contacted the countries' respective federations, Bobsleigh Canada and USA Bobsled and Skeleton, for comment.
The 34-year-old Canadian, who married former U.S. bobsleigh team member Travis Armbruster over the weekend, has been at odds with Bobsleigh Canada for years.
Humphries, won gold medals at the 2010 and 2014 Olympics before picking up a bronze at the 2018 Pyeongchang Games, filed a harassment complaint a year ago alleging she had been verbally and emotionally abused by her former coach.
Humphries also took last season off while Bobsleigh Canada conducted an internal investigation, which the judge learned this week found no evidence of harassment. (Reporting by Frank Pingue in Toronto Editing by Toby Davis)