Aug 31 (Reuters) - Dollar General
* CEO -"believe the much reported demise of retail is an inaccurate narrative. Retail is just changing and we believe we are very well positioned"
* CEO -our average basket contains about 5 items with an average ticket of about $12
* CEO - have redesigned cosmetic area in a large portion of our stores to highlight breadth of on trend products at compelling prices
* CEO - testing assortment of fresh produce across a third of about 300 stores being remodeled
* CEO - have ongoing opportunities for gross margin expansion through improvements in shrink, global sourcing, private brands, distribution transportation efficiencies and nonconsumable sales
* CEO - our pricing surveys continue to indicate we are very well positioned from a price perspective against all classes of trade
* CEO - at store support center, work elimination and process improvement also are ongoing efforts to take costs out
* CEO - "we continue to be very aggressive in our ability to deliver price to the consumer. And that was our biggest source of markdown."
* CEO - " we see an opportunity to enhance gross margin over time but we're going to do what's right for the business for the long term and making sure we drive traffic"
* CEO - "we're well priced today and i don't see us having to do anything that is very dramatic
* CEO - "we see opportunities to grow margin over time. And we don't believe that we're in any long term, strong investments periods. We just don't see that as we go forward right now."
* CEO - " we have gross margin opportunities ahead of us that we'll hopefully start to see some moderation of the year-over-year declines as we move through back of the year" Further company coverage: