Aug 18 (Reuters) - The following are the top stories in the Financial Times. Reuters has not verified these stories and does not vouch for their accuracy.
* Drilling begins on first UK shale well for six years on.ft.com/2uM44w0
* UK retail sales beat expectations on.ft.com/2v6znNs
* Death toll rises to 13 after Barcelona van attack on.ft.com/2vHaJ9B
* FDIC sues Barclays, RBS and other banks over Libor on.ft.com/2fQaFyK
- Cuadrilla has started drilling on the first UK shale well to bring U.S.-style shale gas production to UK. The drilling is expected to reach 3.5 km beneath its site near Blackpool, Lancashire.
- Data from UK's Office for National Statistics released on Thursday show that retail sales, including fuel, rose 0.3 percent month-on-month basis. The growth in UK retail sales shows a higher spending on food which outweighs the falls in all other categories of expenditure.
- Thirteen people were killed and dozens wounded after a white van crashed into pedestrians in Barcelona's bustling tourist district of Las Ramblas. Police said it as the worst attack in Spain since the Madrid train bombings in 2004.
- The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation is suing European banks in a London court over the Libor-rigging scandal after parts of a similar New York lawsuit failed. (Compiled by Bengaluru newsroom; Editing by Sandra Maler)