(Adds company news, futures)
Aug 18 (Reuters) - Britain’s FTSE 100 index is seen opening down 39 points on Friday, according to financial bookmakers, with futures down 0.55 percent ahead of the cash market open.
* ASTRAZENECA: The U.S. Food and Drug Administration on Thursday expanded the use of Lynparza, sold by AstraZeneca Plc and Merck & Co Inc, to include ongoing treatment of patients with recurrent ovarian cancer who have responded to platinum-based chemotherapy.
* GLENCORE: U.S. energy company Chevron Corp and trading firm Glencore on Thursday announced separate plans to enter Mexico’s fuel market, as the long-hidebound sector begins to attract major foreign players.
* FDIC/UK BANKS: The Federal Deposit Insurance Corp, which is responsible for winding up banks that are failing, is suing European banks that include Barclays, Deutsche Bank, Lloyds Banking Group, Royal Bank of Scotland, in a London court over Libor-rigging scandal, FT reported late Thursday. (on.ft.com/2fQaFyK)
* METALS: Shanghai metals futures opened lower across the board on Friday, weighed down by currency uncertainty and negative sentiment in metals markets overnight.
* GOLD: Gold was mostly steady on Friday amid weaker Asian stocks, with some investors gravitating towards safe-haven assets on political uncertainty in the United States and after a van mowed through crowds in Barcelona, killing 13 people.
* OIL: Oil prices dipped on Friday as part of a broad-based selloff across markets, and despite signs that crude markets are gradually tightening.
* The UK blue chip index closed 0.6 percent lower at 7,387.87 points on Thursday, breaking a three-day winning streak in the wake of European indexes, which edged back after a set of cautious minutes from the U.S. Federal Reserve.
* For more on the factors affecting European stocks, please click on: cpurl://apps.cp./cms/?pageId=livemarkets
TODAY‘S UK PAPERS
> Financial Times
> Other business headlines Multimedia versions of Reuters Top News are now available for: * 3000 Xtra : visit topnews.session.rservices.com * For Top News : topnews.reuters.com (Reporting by Justin George Varghese; Editing by Sunil Nair)