SINGAPORE, June 28 (Reuters) - Copper prices rose slightly on Friday, following news that dozens of artisanal miners were killed when part of a copper and cobalt mine owned by Glencore collapsed in Congo.
At least 41 artisanal diggers died at the KOV copper and cobalt open-pit mine in Congo, in which Glencore unit Katanga Mining has a 75% stake, local authorities said.
Artisanal mining on the edge of commercial mine sites is a big problem across Africa as the rudimentary and unregulated practices miners employ can compromise safety. Glencore said the accident has not impacted output.
Three-month copper on the London Metal Exchange rose 0.3% to $4,006 a tonne by 0201 GMT, while the most-traded copper contract on the Shanghai Futures Exchange (ShFE) edged up 0.1% to 47,130 yuan ($6,853.38) a tonne.
Meanwhile, a two-week strike that docked output at Chile's Chuquicamata copper mine has ended after three main labour unions voted on Thursday to accept the latest contract offer from Codelco, the world's largest copper producer.
* PRICES: London aluminium rose 0.8%, zinc advanced 0.9%. Nickel edged down 0.1%, lead fell 0.1% and tin eased 0.2%.
* SHFE: Shanghai nickel rose 0.9%, while most other metals fell, with aluminium easing 0.6%, zinc dipping 0.3% and lead falling 0.7%.
* CHINA: China's central bank said on Thursday it will maintain support for the slowing economy as global risks rise, while vowing not to adopt "flood-like" stimulus that analysts say could exacerbate debt and structural risks.
* For the top stories in metals and other news, click or
* Share markets in Asia edged higher early as investors clung on to hopes that a highly anticipated meeting between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping this weekend could lead to an easing of trade tensions.
0645 France CPI (EU Norm) Prelim YY June
0900 EU HICP Flash YY June
0900 EU HICP-X E&E Flash YY June
1100 Brazil TJLP Lending Rate Q3
1230 US Consumption Adjusted MM May
1400 US U Mich Sentiment Final June
Three month LME copper
Most active ShFE copper
Three month LME aluminium
Most active ShFE aluminium
Three month LME zinc
Most active ShFE zinc
Three month LME lead
Most active ShFE lead
Three month LME nickel
Most active ShFE nickel
Three month LME tin
Most active ShFE tin
ARBS ($1 = 6.8769 Chinese yuan renminbi)
Reporting by Mai Nguyen; editing by Richard Pullin