LAUSANNE, Switzerland, June 24 (Reuters) - Facts about Milan and Cortina d'Ampezzo which won the bid to host the 2026 Winter Olympics. The International Olympic Committee (IOC) elected the winning bid on Monday.
* Population: 1.3 million in Milan
* Location: Milan - Italy's northern Lombardy region, Cortina - Dolomitic Alps
* Altitude: Milan - 120 metres, Cortina - 1,224 metres
* Past Olympic experience: Cortina hosted the Winter Olympics in 1956
* Games concept: Most indoor competitions (except curling and speed skating) in Milan cluster and outdoor events in Cortina cluster (including Val di Fiemme)
* Number of Olympic villages: Three (Milan, Cortina and Livigno)
* Slogan: "Dreaming Together"
* Opening ceremony venue: San Siro in Milan (Capacity: 80,000)
* Biggest advantages: Venues readily available except for one speed skating venue and an ice hockey rink which need to be rebuilt or renovated. Rich history of winter sports. 83% of public polled by IOC support the bid.
* Biggest drawback: Bigger budget of $1.7 billion. Volatile economic and political situation in Italy with a new coalition at the helm. (Reporting by: Rohith Nair in Bangalore)