ZURICH, March 30 (Reuters) - Soccer governing body FIFA on Thursday said it had awarded media right to five broadcasting groups in Sub-Saharan Africa for the 2018 World Cup and other soccer events taking place in 2017 and 2018.
Zurich-based FIFA said it had granted World Cup rights to the following groups:
* Econet Media, by way of free-to-air and pay-TV transmission for all of sub-Saharan Africa except South Africa
* Supersport, by way of pay-TV transmission throughout the region
* SABC, by way of free-to-air transmission in South Africa
* StarTimes, by way of pay-TV transmission throughout the region, except in South Africa
* CANAL+, by way of pay-TV transmission throughout the region, except in South Africa and Nigeria
Econet Media, Supersport, SABC and StarTimes were granted further media rights for other 2017-2018 events. (Reporting by Brenna Hughes Neghaiwi, editing by John Revill)